How delightful . . . to see a new website chronicling the Penguin’s career and reproducing many of the articles in which Lord Gnome revealed Keene’s unsavoury history as a chess impresario and businessman. The site – kingpinchess.net – is run by the magazine Kingpin, described by one international chess master as “the Private Eye of the chess world”.
Private Eye , No.1253, 8 January-21 January 2010
an entertaining, irreverent chess magazine that takes you over to the lighter side with verve and panache
Taylor Kingston, ChessCafe
Please, do people really believe what they read in Kingpin? I am amazed! It’s like taking a satirical show and mistaking it for the news
Raymond Keene OBE, ChessCafe
I actually paid good money for No.9
Tim Harding, Sunday Press
Unpredictable, honest, the funniest
Hugh Myers, The Myers Openings Bulletin
those who are unfamiliar with Kingpin are missing out on a real delight: there are many good chess magazines around, but in my opinion Kingpin is the best out there
John Emms, The Survival Guide to Competitive Chess
Kingpin is a very, very nice magazine
Peter Svidler, chess24
The joy of chess is nowhere celebrated to such climactic excesses as in Kingpin
William Hartston, The Independent
Both serious and funny, I recommend it to anyone who wants to smile as he reads
Jeremy Silman, Inside Chess
Kingpin is not a chess magazine in the normal sense of the word
Luke McShane, New In Chess
attractive zany humour
- 10 Seconds with 7
- About Us 1
- Archive 225
- Articles 83
- Back issues 43
- Cheating 20
- Creative chess 79
- Features 179
- FIDE 46
- Front Page 74
- Games 83
- Hack Attack 50
- History scrapbook 116
- Homepage 90
- Interviews 40
- Kirsan 43
- Letters 9
- Nosher 10
- Private Eye 4
- Quotes 115
- Reviews 72
- Shop 29
- The Penguin Files 36
- The Poisoned Pawn 6
- Uncategorized 1
Your shopping cart
Your cart is empty
Latest from Twitter
- ‘Chess is entirely unrelated to the rest of life: from this springs its fragile profundity’ t.co/B8CHBHC54r • 3 Hours via Hootsuite Inc.
- Kasparov v Karpov, 'courtesy Wimpy Hamburgers'. t.co/pAVg8fi0yq • 7 Hours via Hootsuite Inc.
- The brilliant Leonid Stein was born #OTD in 1934. t.co/uG1vaoIViJ • 9 Hours via Hootsuite Inc.
- For the ladies. t.co/A5zTFytVYQ • 1 Day via Hootsuite Inc.
- Freelance samurai v state-owned gladiator: #ArthurKoestler on #FischerSpassky t.co/PE1IQDQjkO • 1 Day via Hootsuite Inc.
Follow @kingpined on twitter.