Peter Leko − A Future World Champion? Tibor Karolyi The star of the Lloyd’s Bank Masters tournament last August was none of the 19 Grandmasters nor any of the countless International Masters competing. The player who attracted the greatest attention was an 11-year-old Hungarian lad….Read More
For more on the colourful life (and bizarre death) of Oxford University Chess Club President Harold Davidson see The Dabbler and Chess Notes. Source: ‘Miscellaneous papers relating to the Oxford University Chess Club, c.1870-’, Bodleian Library, Oxford. With thanks to Richard James.Read More
In the chess satire stakes @KingpinEd are masters of the art form … a veritable feast: irony, sarcasm, hyperbole
A great English chess favourite
uses impiety and parody to hew down the conventions of publishing, even including mock testimonials
attractive zany humour
leaves my game shiny, manageable, natural looking
some of the most varied, sometimes most interesting, and certainly least inhibited chess writing available today
very, very entertaining . . . some of the back issues of Kingpin were instant classics
If more people read this magazine then it would have a higher circulation
a must-read for everyone who doesn’t take chess too seriously; it’s especially a must-read for everyone who does take chess seriously
Both serious and funny, I recommend it to anyone who wants to smile as he reads
- 10 Seconds with 7
- About Us 1
- Archive 225
- Articles 83
- Back issues 43
- Cheating 20
- Creative chess 79
- Features 179
- FIDE 46
- Front Page 74
- Games 83
- Hack Attack 50
- History scrapbook 116
- Homepage 90
- Interviews 40
- Kirsan 43
- Letters 9
- Nosher 10
- Private Eye 4
- Quotes 115
- Reviews 72
- Shop 29
- The Penguin Files 36
- The Poisoned Pawn 6
- Uncategorized 1
Your shopping cart
Latest from Twitter
- World Chess Champion snap of the week. t.co/gtoEeEgDH3 • 11 Hours via Hootsuite Inc.
- 'the best chess players in the world are "centaurs": amalgamated teams of humans and algorithms' t.co/8Wc60JVj0M • 15 Hours via Hootsuite Inc.
- Antiques Roadshow Inside Chess 1991 (4) 1. t.co/JNSN1cQsNk • 1 Day via Hootsuite Inc.
- 'probably the finest game of the match and one of the most exciting ever seen in a world championship contest' Wint… t.co/P2mEemaA2g • 2 Days via Hootsuite Inc.
- Garry's favourite chess piece. The World Chess Ch Karpov-Kasparov Moscow 1985 (1986), p.146 t.co/r0tz4M8OBU • 2 Days via Hootsuite Inc.
Follow @kingpined on twitter.